Thursday, February 19, 2009

Diets and high school

It is sort of funny to sit and listen to what high school students are eating these days. Fast food seems to be a normal part of their daily intake. Walking down the hall ways at the high school I constantly see the students carrying a 44oz. soda in their hand. I know for some that this is the only thing they have had for lunch. I have not been to the cafeteria here at the high school, but I did visit the middle school cafeteria a few times. I was sort of blown away with the different items offered. Pizza, chicken nuggets w/tater tots, taco salad with chips, meatball sandwiches, etc. I learned that the salad bar was basically taken out of the cafeteria because the portions couldn't be controlled. I guess I don't see what is wrong with a student over doing it at the salad bar. Not only are the kids lacking in exercise, but their nutrition basically SUCKS! Come on people!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I, too, am concerned about the junk kids eat. Have they not read anything or seen any media about obesity in young people? I thought there was going to be a new law going into effect in a few years banning junk food in schools. Bill Clinton was crusading for that. Not only is it bad for you, it is bad for the amount of packaging, and for litter, etc. I live near the highischool here and the neighbors are sick to death with the litter that kids trash our neighborhood with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the fitness quote and the fitness tip! They are inspiring and useful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was at PHS last semester, I also saw lots of snacking take place... and it almost always involved snacking on unhealthy food. I think encouraging exercise and a healthy diet is super-important, both at our local schools and also at a national level. This is a great service that can be provided for students, as it will help them to develop healthy habits which will be beneficial long after high school is over. Good luck and have fun! --Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say I had my first hot lunch experience at PHS yesterday. Not the best thing in the world. I would suggest you go check it out. Although the Nachos I had were not that good, the salad bar was actually really good. They also have some sort of "mini" fruit. Ya minature fruit. It's like the fruit is on reverse steroids. Anyhow I think that it is important to educate students on healthy eating. Not just teach but even try and practice it. Have them cook, or make some healthy snacking foods...just some FOOD for thought! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the diet of students is not very good, but I know that they have been more educated than I ever was on how to have a healthy diet. If teaching them is not working than what will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kids at my school bring 32 oz. Monster Energy drinks with them to school everyday because the only beverages they can buy on campus is water, juice, and milk. Since when do middle school students needs more energy?

    ReplyDelete